Happy Christmas Eve everyone! Regardless of which holiday you celebrate, I hope you and yours have a wonderful, safe, and delicious holiday season. Madison and I are celebrating with our loved ones and eating LOTS of yummy staples like turkey, mashed cauliflower, and pie!
If you’re adhering to a strict diet right now like me, you may be having a bit of a tough time finding things you can eat in the land of sugar cookies. I don’t know about you, but sweets have been the hardest part of my gluten-free, dairy-free, low sugar plan. I’ve always liked dinners featuring good protein and veggies, so it’s not a hard transition sticking to those items. What IS difficult is saying no to my favorite berry pie and other dessert goodies! It’s funny how much my sweet tooth has kicked in now that I can’t have those things!
The best strategy I’ve learned throughout this nutrition/diet experience is to be prepared. What does that mean during Christmas time? I make and bring my own diet-friendly dessert!
I found this recipe on Tone It Up – protein-packed, gluten and dairy free, just-sweet-enough coconut snowflake protein balls! Each ball has 3 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, and only 98 calories! So whip these up (they’re super easy) and bring a dessert you can feel good about to all your holiday gatherings over the next few days.
Let us know what you think!
Ingredients (makes 10 bites)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 dates, pitted
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour (my favorite is Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup pure, organic maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until well combined
- Roll 1 tablespoon amounts into a ball
- (Optional) Roll each little ball in extra coconut flakes for a beautiful presentation
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days