Baby, it’s COLD outside – so we’re makin’ stew! I found this recipe online for “The Best Crock Pot Beef Stew” from a blog called Butter with a Side of Bread that is adapted for a crock pot, and I honestly wanted to see what this woman was all about since her blog name is amazing. This recipe cooks slowly for 9-10 hours, so I prepared all of the vegetables for the stew ahead of time on Saturday, and woke up on Sunday morning to sear the meat and get all of the ingredients into the Crock-Pot so it would be ready in time for the 8:30pm Pats vs. Broncos game. Despite spending the afternoon at the Boston Ski Expo with my hair smelling like beef and onions, it was so relaxing not to have to cook – I just opened the lid of the Crock-Pot at exactly 8:30pm and dug into a hearty helping that warmed me up from the inside out. I’m already looking forward to ripping off a piece of French bread and dunking it into another helping for lunch today – there’s nothing better than good leftovers.
For your reference – I have a 1.5 quart Crock-Pot and the measured ingredients below fit perfectly within it; I’ll likely get about 6 large helpings out of this recipe so you might consider doubling it if you have a larger slow cooker and a bigger crowd!
Are you a fan of beef stew? Check out this other #DinnaLadies Beef Stew recipe here, or let us know if you have any tips on your favorite way to make it, we’d love to hear them!
Hearty Crock-Pot Beef Stew
- 2 lbs trimmed beef chuck, cut into 1-2″ cubes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of flour, toss with meat to coat
- 5-10 red potatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 large carrots, sliced
- 3-4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup of red cooking wine
- 1 cup of beef stock
- 1 14.5oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery and can of tomatoes to Crock-Pot
- Season meat with salt and pepper, toss in flour to coat
- Heat a frying pan on high and add 2 tbsp of olive oil, add garlic and saute, add beef and sear on each side (about 2-3 mins)
- Add beef to Crock-Pot
- Return pan to stove, add 2 tbsp olive oil and onions, saute until translucent.
- Pour in 1 cup of cooking wine and 1 cup of beef stock, once mixture boils, stir and scrape up the yummy brown bits at the bottom. Remove from heat and pour mixture into the Crock-Pot
- Add spices and bay leaf, stir to combine
- Cover and set on low for 9-10 hours
- Prior to serving, remove 1/2 cup to 1 cup of liquid, place in a separate bowl and stir in cornstarch to thicken; add back to Crock-Pot; repeat if need be.
- Serve with warm cornbread or French bread for dipping!