HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Instead of gorging myself on chocolate and candy on Halloween today, I’m trying to lighten up my meals with some new salads so that I’m able to indulge in a few Reece’s cups later. I know, I know, fried goat cheese doesn’t exactly sound like a “light” salad, but hey – baby steps!
I’ve had several salads with fried goat cheese balls on them, one at my favorite old restaurant by Villanova called Verdad, and most recently at Wick’s in Marblehead, and sometimes you can’t get the thought out of your head, so I indulged myself and thought why not try to make them, then at least I’ll know how. A new skill to add to my repertoire! Fried goat cheese balls can easily overwhelm a salad so it’s important to keep the rest of the ingredients light and flavorful – like strawberry, almonds, and a bit of honey to balance the richness of the cheese. I found this recipe on Go Go Go Gourmet’s blog which calls for rice flour (gluten free) and my local grocer had some available so I decided to give that a try. Food & Wine has a great recipe as well that calls for corn starch and pistachios which I’ll try next time. Link here.
Note: my oil was too hot when I fried the goat cheese to a few of them turned dark very quickly. Be careful of your oil temp!
Try it out and if you have any tips for frying goat cheese we’d love to hear them!
Fried Goat Cheese & Strawberry Salad
- 4 oz. goat cheese, cut into eighths
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 1 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- canola oil
- sliced or slivered almonds
- fresh greens
- balsamic dressing
- Whisk together egg, flour and club soda in a bowl; pour panko crumbs into a separate shallow bowl
- Roll each piece of goat cheese into a ball, dip into egg mixture and then coat with panko
- Repeat the process for each ball
- Place in freezer for 10 mins to firm up
- Heat oil in a cast iron pan (should be 1″ in depth) to about 375 degrees
- Cook goat cheese balls in the oil for 3-4 mins, rotating until they are golden brown
- transfer to a paper towel to absorb the oil
- Drizzle with honey and serve immediately