Happy Thursday everyone! Today’s post will be short and sweet as this week is a little crazy- getting back into the swing of things after a big holiday break is always the worst isn’t it?!
This salad is incredibly cheap and simple to create. It’s also basic enough to add in other salad-toppers you may be wanting to use from your fridge or pantry. BONUS: leftover crunchy chickpeas means you can keep ’em for a healthy snack!
- Handfuls of washed arugula & kale (Did you guys know you should massage your kale with a bit of olive oil before eating?! It makes it super tender)
- Two cans of chickpeas (drained and washed)
- Garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- 1 whole, ripe avocado
- Aged Parmesan if you’re watching your dairy consumption and Feta/whatever if you’re not
- Sriracha (optional)
- Dressing of your choice (for a vegan & G-free option, I used Chosen Foods lemon & garlic dressing which uses avocado oil as the base)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Toss the chickpeas with some high-quality EVOO, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sriracha (if you so desire) in a baking pan
- Bake the sh*t out of them! I put mine in for about 45 minutes in total, checking halfway through and using a spatula to scrape the pan so they don’t stick
- While they’re baking, assemble your salad. Start with an arugula/kale base. Add sliced avocado, your cheese preference, and other toppers like sliced cherry tomatoes, broccoli sprouts, diced leftover baked sweet potato, and/or fresh herbs
- When you’re satisfied with the chickpea crunch-level, sprinkle on a handful for the finishing touch!